Part of South Carolina

Part of South Carolina
Membkin Abby Park In South Carolina

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Why I chose not to own a microwave anymore.

                             This microwave pretty much resembled my last big microwave.

     It's easy.  It doesn't even describe me as a cook, which I'll explain later on.

     While growing up, we didn't even own a microwave.  The only time I used a microwave was at my grandparents' house.  I remember it being above the counter in its cubicle.  I was facscinated with with all the whistles and bells.  I remember how I was afraid to use it, fearing I'd break it while trying it out.  I had too much respect to not touch other people's properties.  Eventually, at the encouragement of Gram, I reluctantly started to use the microwave, only to heat up the frozen veggies or warm up their teas or coffee.  That was it and I felt comfortable so far.  That was in the late 80's.
     Fast forward to my first marriage.  Did not own a microwave.  Wasn't a big deal back then.
     Fast forward to my second marriage, my ex-husband had to have a microwave, no matter what.  Didn't think much of it.  I just shrugged.  As to my recollection, i just used it to heat water, melt butter, or reheat leftovers.  I believe my ex-husband and my son used the microwave more than I did. That was the 90s.  I remember how my ex had given me a brand new BIG microwave for Christmas during our first separation.  He carried it across the parking lot and carried it upstairs to my apartment.  He believed I should have a bigger microwave than the one I had at the time.  I couldn't understand it because it was just my son and I living in that apartment at the time.  I cooked or did take outs from fast food places (you know those dollar value menu at Wendy's and etc?  At the time, it was cheaper to get a meal for my son than going shopping.  Believe me, I was on a very, very tight budget.)   When my ex and I got back together, it sat in the garage because there was already a built in microwave where we were living. When we got a divorce, for some reasons unknown to me, I took that BIG clunky machine with me to Durango, CO.  There, I used it a lot from '07 to '10 for almost everything.  Then I gradually started to cook more often, discovering the joys of cooking.  I cringed whenever I used microwave for heating up food, boil water, or even melt butter!  It JUST didn't feel right using that darn thing while proclaiming to be a good cook! I started to use it less and less to the point where I would defrost meat from the freezer.  In June 2013, before moving across the country to South Carolina, I decided to get rid of my microwave for good and forever.  That was the end of my era of microwaves.
     I have no regret of not owning a microwave.  I reheat everything over the stove or oven.  I defrost my meat the night before I cook them.  I melt butter, chocolate, and etc in my little pot.  Easy peasey!  It doesn't EVEN take that long.  I also noticed food tasted better reheated the natural way instead of microwaved.
     Reasons why I don't like microwaves.
       1. Cleaning the microwave all the time!  The last one I had lasted me maybe 10 years at the most thanks to my maintance.
       2. Food doesn't always come out right.  It's always undercooked, overcooked, watery, rubbery and burnt(especially the popcorn!)
       3. I have a tea kettle to boil water for tea or hot chocolate.  I'm old fashioned.  I like to hear it whistle and pour boiling water into my cup instead of pulling out a cup of hot water out of the microwave.  I've also noticed whenever I reheated my drinks or boil water in the microwave, 99% of the time, I'd forget about it! What a waste!
       4. It took up too much space, regardless of the sizes of the microwaves. It annoyed the heck out of me.  I cannot tell you how I would get aggravated silently, whenever I see my countertops.  I like my countertops to cluttered free.  That's just how I am.  It's almost like it shouldn't belong there, period!
       5.  I hated making sure dishes were metal free or containers holding food were metal free also.  One time, I stuck a plate that had metal in it(I couldn't even tell it was metal decoration due to the color), yowzee! Talk about mini fireworks!
       6. Lastly, in my own opinion, it's an insult to me as a good cook who enjoys cooking and baking from scratch.

     Now, if anyone gets me a microwave, I can guarantee a bop from one of my beloved cast iron skillets over your head and that microwave goes into my trash. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment