Part of South Carolina

Part of South Carolina
Membkin Abby Park In South Carolina

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My attempted imitation of Green Goddess Grilled Cheese Sandwich

     Last week I came across this picture picture and it looked SO good.  My mouth actually salivated just looking at it.  Tonight, I was craving it for dinner.  Sadly, I did not have all the ingredients and I did not feel like going to the grocery store.  I only go grocery shopping every other week.  So, I decided to get creative.
     This is what you'll need:
       Spinach (I like to use organic baby spinach)
       Bread (Any will do depending on what you have on hand. I just happened to have Italian bread which was on sale.)
        Avocado(soft and sliced thinly)
        Gouda cheese (sliced)(I chose this type instead of cheddar because I didn't want cheddar to overwhelm the items I will be adding to sandwich.  It has that soft, buttery, and mild nutty taste to it)
         Butter or mayonnaise for toasting the bread in skillet
         Salt and pepper
         approx 1 or 2 tsps of diced green chilies(I absolutely LOVE fresh green chilies. This is optional.  If you don't like it or don't have it on hand, It's okay.  I just happened to think of it at the last minute.)

    Preheat your skillet or fry pan over medium heat.  Use small amount of butter or mayo on one side of bread and lay the buttered side down on skillet.  Quickly add cheese slices, spinach, avocado, salt, pepper, green chilies, spinach, and cheese.

      Butter another sliced bread and put buttered side up on top of the ingredients.  Cook til cheese is slightly melted and the bottom bread is golden brown.  Gently turn over the sandwich with a spatula.  Grill until cheese is completely melted and the bread is toasted golden brown.  Remove and cut into halves.  Enjoy.  I had this with a glass of iced milk.  This is my first time making it this way.  It's mild with a touch of heat from green chilies.  It is light and easy for dinner when you're not too hungry.  I also thought of sliced tomatoes to go with it after I tried it.  It would really enhance the flavors but that's for next time.  Just be creative.  I came up with all kinds of ideas of what could go with it.
                                             Doesn't that look yummy and gooey?
      Quite honestly, I have no idea what to name my sandwich.  Let me know what you guys think!

No comments:

Post a Comment